Sunday, December 09, 2007

Simple Deeds of Mercy

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Matthew 25:35-36

Whom did Christ expect us to care for? Who did He call the least in the world's eyes? Those who have no standing in society. Those who do not have the means to live from day to day. Those who are lonely and in need of comfort and strength to face each day. When we reach out to those in need (the least) through simple deeds of mercy, it shows that we are listening to the voice of our Heavenly Father. Christ said my sheep follow me because they know my voice (John 10:3). We are called to practice these deeds from day to day.

On the day of final judgement, Christ will separate those who have practiced deeds of compassion from those who have not. In his parable he refers to them (Matthew 25: 31-46) as sheep and goats. The sheep are those who go out of the way to reach out to those in need and are sent to live in Heaven. As the parable indicates they feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, clothe those who have need of them, care for the sick, and visit the prisoners. While the goats are those who did nothing to lend a helping hand to those in need and are sent away to Hell.

Jesus said that He lays down His life for His sheep (John 10:15). As sheep of His flock it means to realize that it is not our good deeds, but the sacrifice of Christ on the cross that gives us eternal life. This gift of grace calls us to lay down our lives to follow in the way that Christ calls us to go. How can we say our God is love, when our brother or sister is in need? As we grow in our faith we begin to hear the voice of Jesus calling us to reach out to those in need through simple deeds of mercy.

No comments: