Sunday, September 25, 2005

Brother Rogers


A monastic community in a small village in Burgundy today mourns the brutal death of their patron and shepherd Brother Rogers under the hands of a deranged woman. The Taize community never felt the need to advertise their form of worship. I have participated in Taize services all over the world. Their chants and songs emphasize silence, light, and the need to combine meditation with prayer and music. In between the chants and prayers are long periods of silence where as Bro Rogers says was the time when the Spirit of Christ prayed within us. 

 The simplicity and brevity of the words touches my heart, mind and soul. The one chant that really strikes a chord deep within me is "Jesus remember me when you come into your Kingdom." These are the very words said by the thief on the cross as he hung there by the side of Christ. To me Jesus is the Prince of Peace and it is my firm belief that one day He will return and peace will be restored. Until then through the Holy Spirit He lives and reigns in our hearts and minds. All we have to do is ask Him to come in and live in us. 

 My condolences to all those who mourn this great loss. Bro Rogers' contribution for peace and understanding to this world has been just phenomenal. 

 Luke 23: 42-43 And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lord come into our hearts and reign over us.We pray that your kingdom come at the appointed time and bring peace to this trouble torn world.Keep us with you during times of travail and suffering.Pray for those devastated by natural calamites and disasters brought by the people.Especially pray for Taize community.